Ten years ago we landed in Phoenix to start our new life in the USA. We had no idea what life would be like, we just had this idea of what we wanted – a better quality of life and one where could spend more time together and enjoy life to its fullest.
Leaving England was not an easy decision, we left behind family and friends, good paying jobs and a lifestyle that for the most part we enjoyed and worked hard to build. Dave was leaving the country he was born in and pretty much lived in for his 36 years of life, I was leaving my second home of 14 years, the place were I became an adult and built a career. But we knew that we wanted something different for the rest of our lives.
England is a beautiful country and has a lot to offer, but it’s also crowded, expensive, and the weather for the most part sucks! Sorry, but I am a sun worshiper!
We left England in August 2006, took an amazing two month long round-the-world trip, a once in a lifetime opportunity (you can read more about it here) and arrived in Phoenix on October 17, 2006.
In the last 10 years we have had lots of ups and downs but we are both so happy that we made the decision to move here. It’s one of the best decisions we have ever made. (other than marrying each other ;))
In looking back at the last 10 years there is so much to tell, but I thought I would do a couple of Top Ten lists instead.
10 things we’ve learnt
- Just do it! Take that leap and make that change. Life will work out just fine.
- You can survive an 118f (48c) day in Arizona, everywhere is air conditioned!
- Sunny skies every day makes you a happier person
- Healthcare costs & insurance and politics are the worst (sorry it’s election season!)
- Americans love an English accent and they will tell you all day long 🙂
- Arizona is an amazing state, so beautiful and diverse. In the winter you can ski in Flagstaff in the morning and then come down to Phoenix and sunbathe and have a swim (mind you in a heated pool!)
- Driving 3 hours there and 3 hours back in one day to go for a hike is a done thing. Would never do that in England, you would have to stay the night!
- Making new friends is like dating. Did they like us? Will they call? Should we call them?…
- You can start your own business without knowing anyone and be successful at it
- If you really want it and you work at it you can have the life you want.
Ten things we have achieved
- We arrived with no jobs, started our business DGR Communications in December 2006 and 10 years later we are still in business and are successful.
- We have a beautiful home that is so much more than we could ever imagined.
- We now spend lots of time together and still love each other. (we work from home from the same office 🙂 )
- We get to make our own work related decisions.
- We adopted the cutest German Shepherd puppy, Maverick, in 2008; he has been a main part of our lives ever since.
- We have traveled within the USA and seen some amazing places.
- We have met some lovely people and now have a solid group of friends.
- A comfortable lifestyle where we are not financially stressed, but that allows us to enjoy life.
- Provided a place for friends and family to visit and enjoy another part of the world. Rowe Tours loves to show our guests around our state and other parts of the country.
- Living the life we set out to live.
- …and Dave became an US Citizen this past Friday (Oct 14th)
So in summary, if you did not get it from the above, we love living in Arizona and at this point we will not change it for anything. (well, maybe winning the lottery?)